Master Your Craft with a Major in Theatre at DeSales University
The Theatre program at DeSales University has an outstanding reputation among professionals in theatre, TV/Film, education, and the entertainment industry. The program boasts a faculty of working professional artists, small classes with individualized training, a friendly and supportive atmosphere, study abroad opportunities, superb facilities, and a close working relationship with a nationally recognized professional theatre—the Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival. You can tailor your training by studying one or any combination of the available theatre disciplines, including: Acting for the Stage & Screen, Design/Technical Theatre, Musical Theatre Performance and Theatre Education.
Some of the benefits you’ll receive from the outstanding theatre training at DeSales include:
• 6 fully realized productions each year
• A multitude of studio productions
• Dance and TV/ Film classes
• Specialized/ advanced classes in all areas of study including: Music Theory, Combat, Playwriting, Costume History, Computer Aided Drafting, etc.
• A New York Senior Showcase in an off-Broadway theatre, attended by leading industry professionals, agents, and casting directors
• Paid internship opportunities with the Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival, working alongside Broadway actors, well-known regional directors, and designers
• Master classes by Broadway actors and designers
Ranked as one of the Top 10 colleges in Pennsylvania for Performing Arts by College Factual, DeSales offers a theatre major experience that can be compared to Olympic training—inspired, intense, and balanced between mind, body, and spirit. The program holds artistic excellence and academic excellence as mutually supportive and equally weighted goals. DeSales theatre offers its majors a feast of opportunities across all areas of theatre, as well as through the TV/film and Dance programs.
The DeSales Theatre student may specialize in one or more of the following areas:
Musical Theatre Performance
Acting for Stage and Screen
The DeSales Theatre department offers five different levels of acting courses, two musical theatre performance courses, two acting for the camera courses, two voice courses, a movement course, two directing courses, design courses in all areas, and a myriad of other courses typically only found in a B.F.A. program: Stage Combat, Playwriting, Computer Aided Drafting, Costume History, Stage Management, etc.
For a Complete List of our Coursework & Course Descriptions, please visit our website, www.desales.edu/theatre.